Sunday, January 17, 2010

Snapshots of Hong Kong


When I exited the Star Ferry from Kowloon, Hong Kong to "the island" Hong Kong, this is the site I was greeted with. Leave it to China to move the ferry out further into the bay so the big city may grow bigger.





A view of the Island of Hong Kong from the ferry.



From the top of Victoria's Peak, Hong Kong




And now that you have the "big picture" of Hong Kong...take a look at her up close and personal:


No, not all streets are like this. Actually, Hong Kong must house an extraordinary number of Louis Vuitton's and Gucci stores per capita...but that is not the least bit interesting. Although the fact that people line up outside Louis Vuitton to wait for their turn to go in and have a personal sales rep as though they were waiting for entrance to some hip club...that is pretty interesting to see, in a hmm, who are these people?? kind of way.




Because you never know when you're going to need to buy some pipes...




You'll notice the big blue truck coming at me behind these men as I was taking a picture. It got pretty close before I jumped out of the way, but as I was telling my sister, I've quickly lost my personal bubble with vehicles after a few weeks here. Trucks and buses barrelling down the road straight at you just kind of becomes part of the daily routine.





Bean sprouts anyone?? I happen to love bean sprouts myself, and the funny thing is this love began in China nine years ago when my Mom and I were in Guangzhou adopting my sister Elly. I was an obnoxiously picky eater back then, and one of the three dishes I enjoyed over the 11 days we spent in mainland China was noodles with garlic and bean sprouts. Very comforting and delicious.




This is a nice little tame picture of Mom checking out the fresh fish at a street market in Central, Hong Kong. You can let your imagination run wild about what was on the other side of the stairs...this vegetarian chose to divert the lense from that one :)


I am happy to announce that my little trip to Hong Kong resulted in more than fun pictures...I am now the proud owner of a multi-entry Chinese Visa, so I can come and go from Hong Kong to China as I please. The U.S. Consulate would not, however, add more visa pages to my FULL emergency passport, but after a little polite demanding on my part the secretary let me speak with the officer and we worked out something even better! I'm going to get a new, permanent passport. Apparently they'll ship it right to the Hong Kong embassy for me to pick up in a week...Too bad the U.S. Consulates around the world don't give out matching info, or I would have applied for that baby the day my feet hit the ground in Asia. Happily, this should all be resolved soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment