Sunday, February 28, 2010

Worries

As I'm sure you all know, a massive earthquake struck central Chile in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday, February 27. The aftershocks have been intense and widespread, with significant damage to roads, homes, airports...My prayers are with my Chilean host family in Vina del Mar as I wait for email updates from them, my soon-to-be university in Valparaiso, and the airline. I'm scheduled to leave Hong Kong Monday (HK time) morning and to arrive in Santiago, Chile Tuesday morning at 6:45 am. The Santiago airport is currently closed due to damage and flights are being re-routed to Mendoza, Argentina or cancelled. I'm feeling rather wide-awake at this news as I sit on my computer at 1:23 AM in China, now Sunday morning. I've seen pictures now on the internet of some of the damage, including to homes in Valparaiso. I'm feeling very worried and anxious as I wait for more updates, any news. I'll keep everyone updated as I hear more, but for now I'm still safe with my family in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment