Sunday, February 28, 2010

New Plan for now

After speaking with American Airlines this (Sunday) afternoon in China about my Monday morning flight, I decided to push back my travel plans several days. The airline rep told me that LAN Air that operates the flight from LA to Santiago had put out an announcement that all flights going in and out of Santiago were cancelled, although mine hadn't been cancelled officially yet. "There is a 99.9% chance it will be cancelled, "she told me, so I went ahead and booked an open flight for Saturday. I am now set to leave Hong Kong Saturday morning at 10:20 am and arrive in Santiago Sunday morning at 6:45 am. Those travel plans, of course, will be contingent on what I hear from my university in Valparaiso.The program I am studying abroad through, ISEP, has sent word from their U.S. office that they are trying to contact ISEP coordinators in Valparaiso and will send out an update when they can get through. I have not received a reply to the email I sent to my Chilean host family yet. I'm gluedto my computer as I wait for information. I am hopeful that the devastating pictures and clips I've seen on the news are the very worst of the damage.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin, Millie here (don't know how may name will read when I post this). I've been wondering how all this would affect your plans and am hoping that everything is fine. Please keep me posted. Do you have a contingency plan for if the university doesn't open? I'll call the PAO when I'm in my office tomorrow and see what I can find out.

    Suerte con todo!

    ReplyDelete