Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I'm finally here!!!

Well, after an unbelievable amount of transit time, I've finally arrived in Chile! My trip here was exhausting and definitely more eventful than I expected. After a Saturday morning, China time, flight (4 hours) from Hong Kong to Tokyo, I went from Tokyo to LA (1o hours), only to arrive at LAX and find that my flight to Santiago was cancelled! The airline quickly put me on standby for a different flight (earlier and longer due to a stopover in Lima). I freaked out a little and rushed to go back through security and get to my gate. Quite frankly I was horrified at the disorganization of security entering the international terminal in LAX. The security guards were really disrespectful and kept yelling at people in English (who probably did not speak English) what to do and it was awful to feel like my little precious time back in the US showcased the country so poorly. I made it to the gate with no time to grab lunch, which was especially disappointing because I'd been anticipating a meal in America for a couple months. I knew that my family would be so worried to see my flight was cancelled if they checked online. I also had no idea if the driver who was supposed to meet me would be in Santiago if he saw my flight was cancelled, but there was no time for finding wireless or anything like that so on I went. The flight from LA to Lima was 8 hours, a one hour stopover (during which we had to remain on the plane!) and then a 3 hour flight to Santiago. Upon arrival in Santiago they only let us off in groups of 50 to get our luggage, which was all piled up outside the plane because the international terminal/baggage claim/immigration were all being repaired. Immigration was in one big tent, and taxi people were gather in the next. I couldn't find my driver at first but a nice girl called him for me and I found him eventually. The drive west to Vina del Mar (1.5 hours)was rather quiet in the early Sunday morning calm. There was little evidence of the earthquake on that drive, just lots of mountains and green. It was a sight for sore eyes after 10 weeks in China city craziness. My host parents greeted me warmly with hugs and led me inside to show me my new room. I laid down and fell asleep for a couple hours before rising to shower and get ready for my first big lunch with the family and many relatives!



I was a bit nervous about having my first meal in Chile with 11 other people since I had no idea if I'd like the food, but I was pleasantly surprised! We started out with an interesting seafood spread on bread, followed by these amazing little bowls of shredded crab. Next was salad (one with tomatoes and avocados, and one with typical lettuce and egg). The main course was a mild fish topped with a white sauce with various seafood in it served with a seasoned rice. We ended with coffee (instant and strong!) as we sat around and chatted.



Later my two sister here (Javiera and Camila) went down to the coast with Camila's boyfriend and friend and my new friend Sarah, another student studying at my university. She is staying with my host mom's sister, and I feel so lucky to have a fellow exchange student to experience family gatherings with. I couldn't believe how beautiful the coast was. I'd say it was about 65 degrees and the sun was shining as we hopped along the rocks by the sea. We had gelato cones dipped in chocolate (yep!) for dessert at a local gelateria and went home for more social time and tea with bread and guacamole...although they call it paltas here. There were certainly many moments of confusion in the conversation but I did my best on day one going on almost no sleep. The Chilean accent and local turns of phrase really throw me off at times, and there are some family members who are much easier to understand than others.



I finally went to bed my first night at about 11:30 after being settled. With the time change from China (Chile is 11 hours behind China, and right now 2 hours ahead of Eastern time in Knoxville), I had been awake for 53 hours, except a 30 minute nap on one flight and a couple hour nap upon arrival. I hope I never ever break that little record. Now on late afternoon of day two, I am very tired but perk up when I need to, like when the ground starts to shake :) I've felt 4 little shakes this afternoon, each 5-10 seconds and varying in strength but none too bad. The pictures on the wall may rattle a little and things tremble a bit, but I'm already getting used to it. I've been instructed to wear my shoes at all times so I can run out of the house when needed and to sleep with my door cracked open. The only remaining evidence of the the big quake on Feb 27 is a big broken window in the living room and some cracks and rubble on the sidewalks. I'm prepared to possibly see more damage when I go into Valparaiso for orientation Wednesday, but in Vina the damage seems minimal. My host mom says the aftershocks will continue for about 3 months, so I guess I should get comfortable with them.



The coast in Vina del Mar. I think we drove about 7 minutes to get here. In the distance on the left in the pic is Renaca, Chile, a city a little north of Vina.

The view in the other direction, with Valparaiso in the distance.
I think I can get used to this ;)

My new room! Today they finished repainting in the corner. It is definitely cozy but there is a big window next to the bed that lets in lots of sun and fresh air when I want it.


My closet. It's possible I brought too much luggage... My family didn't seem to mind though and were pleasantly surprised when I was able to fit the two smaller suitcases inside the larger one to store somewhere.


That's it for now, more updates to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and hearing your "voice" in your writing. Take care...make good choices and GREAT memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds exhausting, Erin--good thing you're young and resilient!! Have a WONDERFUL time! I leave for Ireland Sat. to visit Katie--can't wait!

    ReplyDelete